Friday, February 16, 2007

Les Frites

There actually is a bit of a lack of spots that do happy hour in the U Street neighborhood, so I find myself dropping into Saint Ex after work on a fairly regular basis. The bar area upstairs is and warm and cozy, I love the jazz usually playing in the background and the food and drinks are great. It can be a bit of an Adams Morgan like scene on weekends, but it usually is fairly mellow on weekdays, and a perfect spot to meet a friend or two to catch up. For drinks, I almost always go with the happy hour house red wine, which for the last month or so has been a delicious Pinot Noir. Thank you to my friend Patrick who I met there for drinks earlier this week, and who ordered Saint Ex's somewhat famous Fried Green Tomatoes BLT. Fried green tomatoes, cheddar cheese, lettuce and applewood smoked bacon arrive open-faced on thick, lightly toasted bread. On the side you have a choice of fries, sweet potato fries or a salad. He got sweet potato fries which were thick cut, crispy and salted with a fabulous coarse finishing salt that made the flavor pop in your mouth without tasting overly salty. I only had one or two fries but will remember the delicious flavor for a while, actually probably until I am at Saint Ex again and I can convince someone to order les frites.

Cafe Saint Ex
1847 14th Street in NW DC
www.saint-ex.com

No comments: