Monday, March 2, 2009

Drink for a snowy day

I made a batch of these for Inauguration, and they go great with this frigid March weather:

Start with hot cocoa.
I prefer Mexican hot chocolate tablets - the kind that you melt into almost-boiling whole milk. My personal favorite is Popular, but that is hard to find in DC. Abuelita and Ibarra are available in many supermarkets, including Whole Foods and Giant. What makes this chocolate special? Reminds me of home for one, has an amazing texture, and has a strong nose of cinnamon and a touch of chili pepper (for taste, not heat). In a pinch, Balducci's and Whole Foods carry Mariebelle's Aztec Hot Chocolate (that is actually Colombian), which I've substituted successfully.

Pour into individual cups or mugs.

Add 1.5 ounces (one shot glass) of Kahlua for each cup or mug and stir.
Variations on a theme: Bailey's Irish Creme, Yerevan Brandy (5 years), Tequila (Aged).

Enjoy!

No comments: