Thursday, May 24, 2007

Tuesday Tasting at EatBar

The wine club met at EatBar for their Tuesday Tasting Series this week. On offer was a flight of Zins, each a nice match to hearty, grilled meats and veggies often served at summertime barbecues. It was a hot day so I wasn't sure if I was ready for the flight immediately upon arrival, so I ordered a glass of Big Tattoo White ‘05, Germany, which was a nice blend, slightly sweet and perfectly refreshing. More of the group arrived and we endeavored to start the flights. The wines were: 2004 Four Vines Maverick Zinfandel from Amador County, 2005 Sin Zin from Alexander Valley, and a 2004 Quivira Zinfandel from Dry Creek Valley. All top regions for Zin for sure. I actually did not enjoy the Four Vines Zin at all - I found it off-balance and strangely woody and sweet. The Sin Zin, however, was gorgeous - ripe with fruit and smooth on the palate. Very lush. The Quivira was nice as well though I think the hands-down favorite was the Sin Zin. We lingered with our wine and ordered several other varieties and enjoyed a variety of EatBar's small plates. Chris had the Ribs and the Housemade Fries with Ketchup. Looked greasy and delicious. I had a slice of Cypress Grove Humboldt Fog cheese which was served with toasted baguettes. The cheese was rich and creamy and went very well with my wine. I also had the County Ham, Tangerine and Pea Shoot Salad which is lightly dressed and really a great flavor combination. Other standouts folks enjoyed included the Mushroom Ragout, Bacon-Wrapped Figs with Mascarpone Cheese, fresh Blue Point oysters, Chorizo and Goat Cheese Piquillo Peppers and Jambon Serrano which is part of the Charcuterie menu. I enjoy that EatBar's menu features a variety of sweet and savory small plates for nice prices, as well as the wine list of course. If you haven't had a chance to pop in yet, I would recommend doing so.


EatBar in Tallula Restaurant
2761 Washington Boulevard in Arlington, VA (near Clarendon metro)

No comments: